Summary of Collection Steps
SUMMARY OF COLLECTION STEPS
Fill out the Newborn Screening Card:
- View a sample card here.
- Clearly print ALL information in spaces provided in BLUE or BLACK ink.
- Check all information for accuracy.
Complete the First Sample Collection within 24-48 hours of birth:
- View step-by-step instructions here.
- ONE large drop of blood per circle. Fill all 7 circles.
- Do not use a capillary tube for collection as it may damage the card and alter the results.
Complete the Second Collection between 7-16 days after birth
- Complete all information on the second card as detailed above.
- Replacement cards are available if parent does not have original second card. Order replacement cards here. Write the original card number from the first screening below the replacement card number.
- The original card number is available through the birthing facility or the Newborn Screening Program at 801-584-8256.
- Dry horizontally at room temperature for three hours. Drying racks are available at no charge.
- Once dry, fold the biohazard flap over the sample and place in envelope provided.
- Send the sample to the Newborn Screening Lab within 24 hours of collection. The use of a courier is recommended.